October 12 2014
- In a medium bowl, soak burghul.
- Remove and drain, place aside.
- Process topside in a food processor, then remove.
- Process onion 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper in processer.
- In a large bowl combine topside, onion mixture and burghul, knead until dough like consistency, you may need to add some water to get the desired consistency. Place mixture aside, covered.
- In a medium frying pan, sauté the finely chopped onion in olive oil.
- Add the minced meat and chop well with wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add allspice, salt, pepper and dried mint.
- Toast the pine nuts separately, then add to the meat mixture. Remove from heat. Allow to cool. Make kebbeh and fry.
- Take an egg sized amount of shell mixture and form into a ball, poke a hole in the ball, making a space for filling. Add filling and pinch the top to seal the ball. You can then shape it into a point, or football shape, or leave as a ball.
- Fry in hot oil on stove top or in deep fryer for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Makes approximately 2 dozen medium sized kebbeh. Great with yogurt Variation - Kebbeh bi saniyi Using the same filling and shell mixture, in a deep tray, one layer of shell mixture followed by a layer of the filling finished with another layer of shell mixture coat with 1⁄2 cup rice bran oil, cut into squares or diamonds and bake at 180-200C until golden.