Stuffed Vine Leaves Recipe October 13 2014
- 400g vine leaves
- 250g lamb topside
- 300g lamb mince
- 11⁄2 cups short grain white rice
- 1⁄2 onion (diced)
- 2tbs vegetable oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Pinch mixed spice (‘baharat’)
- Rinse the vine leaves thoroughly to remove excess salt.
- Wash the rice & place in a bowl.
- Fry the onion in the oil slightly. Add the onion & mince lamb to the rice. Add the spices & mix well.
- Place the top side in the base of the saucepan.
- Place a vine leaf on the board with the stem facing up. Using your hand, place some of the rice mix onto the vine leaf (about 1 teaspoon).
- Fold the sides of the vine leaf towards the centre then roll the vine leaf forward from the base to the top. It should be tightly rolled.
- Place the rolled vine leaf on top of the top side. Continue rolling until all rice mixture is used.
- Cover the vine leaves with water. Add the lemon juice. Place a flat plate on top of the vine leaves to weigh them down.
- Let the vine leaves simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Vine leaves are ready when rice has become tender.
- To serve, tip the saucepan over onto a flat serving dish. Serve with tzaziki.